A wealth of network management products from Cisco and other suppliers highlights the value and complexity of network management. Progent's Cisco qualified network management engineers are expert at helping companies develop network management solutions utilizing on SNMP, Syslog, and Cisco IOS NetFlow to build effective tools for understanding network bandwidth usage and latency, viewing key router and switch operational characteristics, and recognizing traffic patterns, applications, and devices that use available resources.
Progent can assist businesses to deploy a broad selection of free and license-based management tools to manage Cisco infrastructure. Utilities familiar to Progent's engineers include MRTG, Cacti, Nagios, PRTG, Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager (ASDM), Cisco Monitor Manager, Cisco Security Manager, OpenView, Concord E-Health, Advent and Firewall Analyzer, Big Brother, Solarwinds Orion, and Necordia NetMRI.
Network management tools can enable organizations to be aware of current network utilization and effectively plan for future traffic expansion. Management utilities can also be used to identify poor or inappropriate uses of network resources, for example streaming audio and video, peer-to-peer file exchange, etc. that can eat up expensive or limited network bandwidth. A carefully designed network management plan can also assist companies to make intelligent decisions on system upgrades after they recognize the amount of network bandwidth really required at any one time.
Putting an efficient network management system in place in advance is vital to prevent major disruptions that can be caused by Denial Of Service (DoS) attacks and malicious viruses. Such assaults can leave the network unstable and in the absence of appropriate tools it can be difficult, and sometimes virtually impossible, to find the source of the trouble.
Network Management Products from Cisco
Cisco provides a selection of effective tools that should be the foundation for any network management strategy. Used in conjunction with the top outside vendor applications, Cisco's network management offerings can improve the business value of networks for companies of all sizes by addressing key areas such as resource utilization, performance, availability, protection, repair, and scalability. Cisco's most popular network management tools include:
Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager is a web utility that permits you configure and monitor the management utilities built into network devices. Adaptive Security Device Manager is installed by the network device, and enables you to set up, monitor, and manage the device.
Monitor Manager is a comprehensive management solution developed to handle the requirements of small and medium-sized organizations. Cisco Monitor Manager continuously scans key device processes on voice and data environments used by five to 250 workers and equipped with as many as 250 Voice over IP phones. Monitor Manager offers:
Cisco Monitor Manager scans the network on a 24x7 cycle and periodically touches and gathers identification and performance-monitoring information from the managed appliances in the system. Cisco Monitor Manager is a Windows-based utility and is completely nondisruptive to system processes and does not deploy any agent on target appliances. The application offers a variety of useful features and benefits such as:
- Up-to-date scanning of key device parameters on small and midsize business-class network appliances, Unified Communications Manager Express, Cisco Unity Express, security appliances, WAPs, and Cisco Unified IP Phones
- Support for the Unified Communications 500 communications appliance for organizations with as many as 50 workers
- Voice and data network discovery and topology
- Physical and process views of Cisco Unified Communications implementation
- Networkwide device identification logging and documentation
- Advanced security and dependable communication
- Cisco device operations tracking
- Cisco Unified IP Telephony tracking
- Connection status and data traffic tracking
- Immediate alerts and event notification
- Setup archive
Network Assistant is a PC-hosted management tool optimized for LANs and WLANS for growing businesses that have as many as 40 switches and routers. By using Cisco's Smartports technology, Network Assistant streamlines configuration, deployment, and ongoing administration and support of Cisco networks. Cisco Network Assistant provides a centralized network view and permits IT administrators to deploy its features across Cisco switches, routers, and access points.
Security Manager is a powerful but easy-to-use solution for managing all aspects of device configuration and security policies for Cisco PIX and ASA security appliances, virtual private networks (VPNs), and IPS. The solution effectively manages even small networks with fewer than ten appliances, but also expands to manage enterprise systems composed of thousands of devices. Expansion is achieved via smart policy-based control techniques that can streamline administrative overhead. Key features of Security Manager are:
How Progent Can Assist Your Business with Network Management
- Allows control of Cisco routers configured with a Cisco IOS security software image, ASA 5500 family firewalls, Cisco PIX firewalls, IPS 4200 family inline security appliances, and Catalyst 6500 family security services modules
- Reacts faster. more rapidly to attacks: specify and apply new security policies to thousands of devices in just a few steps
- Rich GUI provides exceptional ease-of-use
- Multiple views that offer flexible ways to control appliances and policies including the ability to administer the security network graphically on a topology map
- Comprehensive video help for the new operator to accelerate training time
- Centrally specify which policies are shared and automatically inherited by additional appliances to ensure company-wide policies are implemented consistently, while offering sufficient versatility to modify policies at the individual device level
- Ability to create a single rule database for Cisco platforms with smart evaluation of firewall policies to detect conflicts in the rule base
- Easily configure site-to-site, hub-and-spoke, full-mesh IPsec, or extranet VPN connections with a VPN wizard
- Compatibility with Cisco Access Control Server (ACS) for granular role based access control to devices and management functions
- Operation with security MARS to compare monitored data with corresponding security appliance rules to enable quicker management decisions and enhanced system up time
- Capability to allocate particular jobs to each administrator in the course of the deployment of a rule, with formal change control and tracking; allows the security and systems operations team to work cooperatively as a cohesive group with effective teamwork
Progent's Cisco-certified network consultants can show you how to utilize Cisco's management utilities in combination with a selection of effective third-party applications to develop a comprehensive network management solution to keep your infrastructure functioning smoothly, conserve valuable resources, secure your data, recover rapidly from equipment failure or deliberates assaults, and enable you to expand or repurpose system resources effectively and economically as your company grows.
Progent can also help you to utilize network management applications to monitor and classify network data to implement traffic shaping, which permits you to set up Cisco routers to enforce a variety of bandwidth constraints on designated classes of activity according to the priorities you assign. By buffering and queuing excess packets above your contracted rates, and by assigning priority to the most important processes, traffic shaping can prevent ISP overage penalties from spiraling out of control and/or eliminate gaps in productivity resulting from indiscriminate policing of your network bandwidth limits during periods of heavy use.
Progent's CISM, CISSP, and ISSAP security specialists can assist you to develop an end-to-end security plan that encompasses your network management solution, and Progent's remote and on-site support specialists and Cisco CCIE and CNA qualified consultants can utilize the latest network monitoring and analysis technology to identify and fix problems quickly to keep your network productive.
To find out additional details concerning Progent's professional expertise for Cisco technology, select a subject:
To contact Progent about technical help for Cisco products, call 1-800-993-9400 or refer to Contact Progent.