An abundance of network management utilities from Cisco and other vendors highlights the value and complexity of maintaining networks. Progent's seasoned network management engineers are expert at helping companies develop management strategies based on Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), SYSLOG services, and NetFlow protocols to build effective mechanisms for network utilization and latency, viewing important router and switch performance characteristics, and identifying traffic patterns, processes, and devices utilizing network resources.
Progent can assist customers to utilize a rich selection of free and license-based monitoring and management tools to maintain a Cisco network. Utilities used by Progent's engineers include MRTG, Cacti, Nagios, PRTG, Cisco Cisco ASDM, Cisco Network Assistant, CiscoWorks, Cisco Security Manager, OpenView, Wireshark/Ethereal, Concord E-Health, AlterPoint DeviceAuthority, Advent and Firewall Analyzer, Big Brother, Solarwinds Orion, and NetMRI.
Network management platforms can enable IT administrators to understand existing system utilization and effectively prepare for downstream capacity expansion. Management utilities can also be used to highlight poor or improper utilization of network resources, such as streaming video, peer-to-peer sharing, etc. that can waste expensive or scarce network bandwidth. A carefully crafted network management plan can also help companies to make intelligent decisions on system improvements after they recognize the amount of system bandwidth historically needed at various times.
Putting an effective network management solution in operation ahead of time is essential to avoid severe disruptions that can follow Denial Of Service (DoS) attacks and dangerous viruses/Trojans. Such events can leave the network unstable and without proper utilities it can be time consuming, and sometimes practically impossible, to find the location of the trouble.
Network Management Solutions from Cisco
Cisco has developed an assortment of powerful utilities that should be the foundation for any management solution. Used in combination with the top third-party applications, Cisco's network management offerings can improve the competitive value of network infrastructures for companies of all sizes by dealing with important areas such as resource utilization, performance, availability, protection, repair, and scalability. Cisco's top network management tools include:
Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager is a web Java applet that permits you set up and monitor the software built into security appliances. ASDM is installed by the adaptive security device, and allows you to set up, monitor, and manage the device.
Cisco Monitor Manager is a management application designed to address the requirements of small and midsize organizations. Cisco Monitor Manager continuously checks key appliance parameters on voice and data networks serving five to 250 users and equipped with as many as 250 Voice over IP phones. Monitor Manager provides:
Monitor Manager tracks the network on a round-the-clock cycle and frequently touches and collects inventory and operations-tracking information from the managed devices in the system. Cisco Monitor Manager is a Windows-based utility and is completely invisible to IT processes and does not use any agent software on managed devices. The application offers a rich set of useful features including:
- Up-to-date tracking of important appliance parameters on Cisco SMB-class routers, switches, and voice gateways, Unified Communications Manager Express, Cisco Unity Express, security devices, access points, and VoIP phones
- Ability to manage the Unified Communications 500 for businesses with as many as 50 users
- Network discovery and topology
- Physical and service level views of Cisco Unified Communications implementation
- Networkwide device identification collection and reporting
- Highly secure and reliable operation
- Device operations monitoring
- VoIP Telephony tracking
- Connection status and data traffic monitoring
- Immediate alarms and event notification
- Setup log
Network Assistant is a desktop-based network management application designed for for LANs and WLANS for growing businesses with up to 40 Cisco switches and routers. By using Smartports technology, the application streamlines setup, installation, and continuing administration and support of Cisco networks. The application provides a unified network view and allows network managers to employ its features across switches, routers, and access points.
Security Manager is a highly functional but easy-to-use solution for managing all aspects of device set up and security policies for PIX and ASA firewalls, VPNs, and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS). Cisco Security Manager efficiently handles even small networks with fewer than ten appliances, but also expands to manage enterprise networks with thousands of routers, switches, and firewalls. Scalability is enabled through smart policy-driven control techniques that can streamline administration. Key features of Cisco Security Manager include:
How Progent's Consultants Can Assist Your Business with Network Management
- Supports control of Cisco routers running a Cisco IOS security software image, Cisco ASA 5500 Series adaptive security appliances, Cisco PIX firewalls, IPS 4200 family sensors, and Catalyst 6500 family security services modules
- Reacts faster. more rapidly to threats: define and assign updated policies to thousands of appliances in just a few steps
- Rich GUI provides superior ease-of-use
- Multiple views that provide flexible methods to control appliances and policies including the capability to manage the security environment visually on a system topology image
- Comprehensive video help for the new user to accelerate training period
- Globally call out which policies are shared and inherited by new appliances to ensure corporate policies are configured regularly, while offering sufficient versatility to modify policies at the individual device level
- Capability to build a single rule table for all Cisco firewalls with smart evaluation of firewall policies to determine conflicts in the rule table
- Easily configure location-to-location, hub-and-spoke, full-mesh IPsec, or extranet Virtual Private Network connections with a VPN wizard
- Compatibility with Cisco ACS for granular role based connection management to devices and management services
- Operation with security MARS system to compare events with related firewall rules to promote faster decision making and enhanced system up time
- Ability to assign particular jobs to every manager in the course of the implementation of a policy, with structured change management and tracking; allows the security and network operations staff to act cooperatively as a single unit with efficient coordination
Progent's Cisco-qualified network engineers can show you how to utilize Cisco's network management utilities in combination with a selection of powerful third-party programs to create a comprehensive management toolkit to keep your network functioning dependably, conserve valuable resources, protect your data, recover quickly from hardware breakdowns or malicious assaults, and allow you to expand or repurpose network resources intelligently and affordably as your organization grows.
Progent can also assist you to use network management tools to analyze and classify network data to implement traffic shaping, which permits you to set up routers to enforce a variety of bandwidth restrictions on certain classes of activity based on the importance you specify. By buffering and sorting excess packets that exceed your contracted rates, and by assigning preference to the most important processes, traffic shaping can keep Internet Service Provider overage charges from spiraling out of reach and/or eliminate gaps in productivity resulting from indiscriminate policing of your network traffic volume restrictions during peak demand.
Progent's CISM and CISSP security specialists can assist you to create an end-to-end security strategy that encompasses your network management processes, and Progent's remote and in person network experts and Cisco CCIE and CNA qualified consultants can utilize advanced network monitoring and analysis technology to isolate and fix trouble quickly to keep your IT system running smoothly.
For more information about Progent's engineering support for Cisco products, select a topic:
To ask Progent about professional expertise for Cisco networking, phone 1-800-993-9400 or refer to Contact Progent.