Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Jersey City
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without disrupting activity required for operational continuity and data restoration. Your Jersey City business can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to counter future ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network helps you to assess the impact and highlights shortcomings in policies or work habits that should be rectified to prevent future break-ins. Forensics is typically given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other important recovery processes like operational resumption are executed in parallel. Progent has a large team of IT and cybersecurity experts with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out activities for containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and calls for intimate cooperation with the teams focused on data recovery and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics can involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect without shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Preserve forensically sound duplicates of all suspect devices so the file recovery team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect every machine and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions in order to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any possible lateral movement from the originally infected system
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Extract any URLs from messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- List recommendations to shore up security gaps and improve processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services across the United States for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your network following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Jersey City
To find out more about how Progent can help your Jersey City business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.