Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Kansas City
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without impeding the processes related to business continuity and data restoration. Your Kansas City organization can utilize Progent's forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault progressed within the network assists you to assess the damage and highlights gaps in security policies or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid later breaches. Forensic analysis is typically given a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other important recovery processes such as business resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large team of IT and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out activities for containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and requires intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for data restoration and, if necessary, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the system. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to protect your backups.
- Capture forensically sound digital images of all suspect devices so your file recovery group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Determine the variety of ransomware involved in the attack
- Survey each machine and data store on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and sessions to establish the time frame of the attack and to spot any potential sideways movement from the first infected machine
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide detailed attack reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Document recommended improvements to close cybersecurity gaps and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services throughout the U.S. for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and ERP software. This breadth of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Kansas City
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Kansas City business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.