Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Scottsdale
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with the processes required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Scottsdale organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the restoration of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware assault progressed within the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and brings to light gaps in security policies or processes that need to be rectified to avoid later break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a high priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other key recovery processes such as operational continuity are performed concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and calls for close cooperation with the groups responsible for file cleanup and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for changes.
Services associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to secure your backups.
- Copy forensically complete duplicates of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as soon as possible
- Establish the version of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each machine and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions in order to establish the time frame of the attack and to spot any potential sideways migration from the first compromised system
- Identify the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide comprehensive attack reporting to meet your insurance and compliance regulations
- List recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and ERP software. This breadth of skills allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the undamaged parts of your information system following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Scottsdale
To learn more about ways Progent can help your Scottsdale business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.