Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Dallas
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with activity related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Dallas organization can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and uncovers weaknesses in security policies or work habits that need to be corrected to prevent later breaches. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a high priority by the insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other key recovery processes such as operational continuity are performed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of information technology and data security professionals with the skills needed to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and requires intimate interaction with the groups responsible for data restoration and, if necessary, payment talks with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically involve the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities involved with forensics include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially affected devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring 2FA to secure your backups.
- Preserve forensically sound digital images of all exposed devices so your data restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect each machine and storage device on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions to establish the timeline of the attack and to identify any potential lateral movement from the first compromised machine
- Identify the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate URLs from messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommended improvements to close security vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and ERP applications. This breadth of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged pieces of your network following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Dallas
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Dallas organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.