Introduction to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server delivers a reliable, scalable, and easy-to-manage platform with round-the-clock email and collaboration support as well as low cost of ownership. MS Exchange 2003 Server supports a wide array of team activities, such as group scheduling capabilities, discussion areas, and team folders, and furthermore makes available data that extends over geographic, logical, and technology divisions with productivity enhancers such as Instant Messaging, on-demand data, and video conferencing. Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server introduced enhancements over Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server in several important areas that cover security, performance, and remote access.
In 2009 Microsoft discontinued standard support for Exchange 2003, requiring IT managers to deal with all the issues associated with maintaining a legacy email platform. Despite this, most Exchange users are currently running on Exchange Server 2003. Progent's certified network engineers have extensive backgrounds supporting Exchange 2003 and can help your company manage and troubleshoot your Exchange 2003 environment or assist you in planning and executing an economical migration to a current version of Microsoft Exchange Server.
Years of background with Microsoft's messaging technology has made Progent one of the most efficient IT consulting firms in the United States for supporting email systems based on Exchange 2003 Server. Progent can help small companies take advantage of the many improvements Exchange 2003 has over previous releases of Exchange. These enhancements have helped establish Exchange 2003's loyal user base and solidify the position of Microsoft Exchange as the world's leading messaging platform.
Advantages of Exchange Server 2003 Over Exchange Server 2000
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 introduced significant improvements in functionality over Exchange 2000 Server in key areas such as disaster recovery, performance, protection, mobility, groupware, and manageability.
Advantages of Exchange Server 2003 Over Microsoft Exchange 5.5
- MS Exchange 2003 Server delivers improved recovery by including the capability of eight-node clustering, faster cluster failover, the addition of mount points which overcome the 24-drive designation limitation, SAN compatibility, Volume Shadow Copy Service for database backup, a Mailbox Recovery Center utility, and a Restore Storage group.
- MS Exchange Server 2003 improves performance over Exchange 2000 Server via features such as /3GB and /USERVA startup switches for adjusting the allocation of memory and memory address space, public folder replication improvements, distribution list caching enhancements, and suppression of Out of Office messages.
- Security improvements offered by MS Exchange 2003 Server over Exchange 2000 include IPsec compatibility for front- and back-end clusters, signed Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) requests to Microsoft Active Directory, front-end and back-end Kerberos validation, Internet Information Services 6.0 security, limiting of distribution lists to authenticated users, real-time Safe and Block lists, inbound recipient filtering, attachment blocking in OWA, and public folders permissions improvements.
- MS Exchange Server 2003 offers improved support for remote and mobile workers by including an Outlook Web Access user interface and a more extensive range of capabilities for Web Outlook, Outlook 2003 performance enhancements through MAPI compression, HTTP access from Outlook, xHTML and HTML smart phone browser support, and synchronization of notifications for handheld computers.
- Management and serviceability are simplified in comparison to Microsoft Exchange 2000 by organizing queues on a per-server system, improving the user interface (UI), revealing all system queues, controlling cookie authorization, using Microsoft Exchange System Manager to transfer queue data, including a multiple-client Move Mailbox feature, and providing dynamic distribution lists, public folder Send Contents, and public folder affinity to control referrals.
Exchange Server 2003 delivered major enhancements in functionality over Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 in areas affecting access, manageability, security, reliability, capacity, and performance.
Advantages of Exchange 2003 Server Over an ISP-provided or POP3 Email Environment
- MS Exchange 2003 Server brought a significant increase in functionality compared to the Microsoft Exchange 5.5 web client. MS Exchange Server 2003 provides an almost complete implementation of the traditional MS Outlook interface including scheduling and utilities. As a result, mobile workers get the advantage of full, protected availability of email even if they don't have a laptop. All they need is an Internet-attached PC with a standard web browser.
- In contrast to Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5, which uses a built-in directory, MS Exchange 2003 Server uses Active Directory (AD), providing a greatly simplified administration and security model. This makes MS Exchange 2003 Server easier to manage and support and also offers tighter security.
- Exchange Server 2003 has a strong architecture for seamlessly adding third-party applications such as virus and spam scanning software. Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server's strong API does away with the technical risk associated with Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 when adding independent utilities.
- MS Exchange Server 2003 offers greatly increased capacity and speed over Exchange 5.5 Server. This improvement allows you to have more and larger mailboxes and speedier remote access.
- Exchange Server 2003 also has better searching ability than Exchange 5.5, saving time when you need to find critical information.
If your organization has been running a parallel email system hosted by an ISP or if you are running your Outlook users in POP3 mode, MS Exchange 2003 Server provides a wealth of enhanced capabilities in the areas of manageability, responsiveness, capacity, reliability, and collaboration:
How Progent Can Assist You to Integrate Your Legacy POP3 Email System with Exchange 2003
- In contrast to the store-and-forward technique used by POP3 email systems, Exchange 2003 Server uses a central-store model that frees users from reliance on a specific PC or laptop, lowers vulnerability to hardware failure or viruses, and allows both on-line and off-line email, automatic backup, and sophisticated sharing and collaboration.
- Exchange Server 2003 has an array of collaboration features that allow work groups to maximize efficiency by sharing scheduling, address books, correspondence, and files.
- The flexibility of Exchange Server 2003 makes it possible to install third-party security enhancements or accommodate wireless devices such as the RIM Blackberry smart phone.
- Exchange Server 2003 supports advanced administration and tracking tools to verify that your email environment is running smoothly.
- Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server allows on-line archiving without disrupting system performance, supporting round-the-clock availability by eliminating scheduled maintenance blackouts.
Progent's background and proven methodologies can help you to manage a quick, seamless migration from POP3 email systems to Exchange 2003 Server. Progent pays attention to vital issues such as coordinating domain names so that both on-site and off-site users make a smooth upgrade from the limitations of POP3 email. Progent's engineers can help you with integrating your on-site Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 solution or Progent's data center solution consultants can assist you to set up and manage your Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 in an external data center. Progent's business continuity experts can help you design and implement a comprehensive disaster recovery plan that includes Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager consulting for continuous remote archiving and fast data restoration.
How Progent Can Help You Migrate to Exchange 2016 or Exchange 2013
Because Exchange Server 2003 is officially at end of life, many small businesses are considering migrating to a more current version of Exchange. Progent's Microsoft Exchange consultants can assist your company to migrate to Exchange 2016 or upgrade to Exchange 2013 from Exchange 2003 at minimal cost or disruption of business. Progent can assist your organization to increase the business value of your messaging solution by improving Exchange security, performance, reliability, mobility support, scalability, fault tolerance, recoverability, and ease of management. Progent's certified security specialists can evaluate and improve your security environment and Progent's Cisco-certified network engineers can upgrade your network architecture to improve network performance and reduce operating expense.
Microsoft Office 365 Exchange Online Integration with On-premises Exchange
Microsoft supports transparent hybrid ecosystems that integrate Office 365 and on-premises Exchange deployments. This allows you to have specific mailboxes located on your corporate datacenter or private cloud and other mailboxes resident on Office 365. Progent's certified Exchange consultants can assist you with any phase of planning, integrating and debugging your hybrid Office 365 solution. Progent's Exchange specialists can provide occasional support to help you resolve stubborn technical problems and also offer comprehensive project management outsourcing to make sure your hybrid Office 365/Exchange solution is carried out on time and within budget. To learn more about Progent's consulting services for integrating Office 365 and on-premises Exchange systems, see Office 365 integration solutions with on-premises Exchange.
Hosting Services for Microsoft Exchange
Progent also offers MS Exchange Hosting Services based on an enterprise-class facility for Microsoft Exchange and offering high-speed Internet connectivity, dedicated firewall protection, patch and revision implementation, Help Desk services, spam and virus filtering, regular backup, continual monitoring of security and responsiveness, and comprehensive Exchange management support. While you are migrating from an older version of Exchange is a great time to consider moving to a remote managed data center to host Exchange Server 2016 or Exchange 2013 in order to save on facilities, equipment, and management costs.
Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Technology
For businesses of any size in the Northern California Bay Area or elsewhere in the United States, Progent's Microsoft-authorized experts offer affordable remote computer assistance and professional consulting services for the entire family of Microsoft .NET Enterprise Servers. Progent offers Windows Server 2019 migration expertise, Windows Server 2016 hybrid cloud solutions, Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 configuration assistance, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 consulting, and Microsoft Windows 2003 Server maintenance. Progent's migration, integration, update, and consulting services cover network design, configuration, and management outsourcing for
project management and documentation, local and off-site
IT support and network repair,
Help Desk Outsourcing Services, certified
security consulting, full-service
outsourcing, Exchange hosting, and ProSight Virtual Hosting.
Progent in addition offers a broad array of online PC desktop services including Windows 10 planning support, Microsoft Windows 8.1 consulting support, Microsoft Windows 7 maintenance, upgrading to 64-bit computing, Microsoft Office desktop and Office 365 integration, and automating desktop configuration.
If your company requires urgent online help from a Microsoft certified network expert, go to Progent's Emergency Online Computer Support.
Find out more about Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Servers.
In order to contact Progent about technical assistance for Exchange Server integration or to learn more about Progent's Microsoft Exchange hosting services, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.