Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Harrisburg
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with activity related to business resumption and data restoration. Your Harrisburg business can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and describing the ransomware assault's storyline across the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists your IT staff to assess the damage and uncovers vulnerabilities in rules or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is typically given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is vital that other key activities such as business continuity are executed concurrently. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and data security experts with the skills required to perform activities for containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and calls for close interaction with the teams responsible for file cleanup and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect variations.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the system. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up 2FA to guard backups.
- Preserve forensically valid duplicates of all suspect devices so the data recovery team can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the variety of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each computer and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and user sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware assault and to identify any potential lateral movement from the first compromised machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract URLs from messages and check to see if they are malware
- Produce extensive attack reporting to meet your insurance and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and on-premises network services across the U.S. for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of SMEs includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with top insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Harrisburg
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Harrisburg organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.