Ransomware Hot Line: 800-462-8800
24x7 Online Access to a Senior Ransomware Consultant
Ransomware requires time to steal its way through a target network. For this reason, ransomware attacks are typically launched on weekends and at night, when support staff are likely to be slower to recognize a break-in and are least able to organize a quick and forceful defense. The more lateral movement ransomware can achieve within a target's network, the more time it takes to restore core IT services and damaged files and the more data can be stolen and posted to the dark web.
Progent's Ransomware Hot Line is intended to assist you to take the urgent first step in responding to a ransomware assault by containing the malware. Progent's online ransomware experts can assist organizations in the Waltham metro area to locate and quarantine infected servers and endpoints and protect undamaged assets from being compromised.
If your network has been breached by any strain of ransomware, don't panic. Get help quickly by calling Progent's Ransomware Hot Line at 800-462-8800.
Progent's Ransomware Response Services Available in Waltham
Modern strains of crypto-ransomware like Ryuk, Sodinokibi, DopplePaymer, and Egregor encrypt online data and infiltrate any accessible system restores and backups. Data synched to the cloud can also be impacted. For a poorly defended network, this can make system recovery almost impossible and basically sets the datacenter back to the beginning. So-called Threat Actors (TAs), the cybercriminals behind a ransomware attack, demand a ransom fee for the decryptors needed to unlock encrypted files. Ransomware assaults also try to steal (or "exfiltrate") files and TAs demand an extra ransom for not publishing this information on the dark web. Even if you are able to restore your network to an acceptable date in time, exfiltration can be a major issue according to the sensitivity of the stolen information.
The recovery process after a ransomware penetration has several distinct stages, most of which can proceed concurrently if the response workgroup has enough people with the necessary skill sets.
- Quarantine: This time-critical first step requires blocking the lateral progress of the attack across your network. The longer a ransomware assault is permitted to go unchecked, the more complex and more costly the recovery process. Because of this, Progent maintains a round-the-clock Ransomware Hotline monitored by veteran ransomware response experts. Quarantine processes consist of isolating affected endpoint devices from the network to restrict the contagion, documenting the environment, and protecting entry points.
- System continuity: This covers restoring the network to a basic acceptable degree of capability with the shortest possible downtime. This process is usually the highest priority for the targets of the ransomware assault, who often perceive it to be an existential issue for their company. This activity also requires the widest range of IT abilities that span domain controllers, DHCP servers, physical and virtual machines, PCs, notebooks and mobile phones, databases, office and line-of-business apps, network topology, and protected endpoint access management. Progent's recovery experts use advanced collaboration tools to organize the complicated restoration process. Progent appreciates the importance of working rapidly, tirelessly, and in concert with a customer's managers and network support group to prioritize activity and to get vital services back online as quickly as feasible.
- Data recovery: The effort necessary to restore files impacted by a ransomware assault varies according to the state of the systems, how many files are affected, and which restore techniques are needed. Ransomware attacks can take down critical databases which, if not gracefully closed, may have to be rebuilt from scratch. This can include DNS and Active Directory databases. Exchange and SQL Server rely on AD, and many ERP and other mission-critical applications are powered by Microsoft SQL Server. Some detective work may be required to find undamaged data. For instance, non-encrypted Outlook Email Offline Folder Files may exist on employees' desktop computers and laptops that were off line at the time of the attack. Progent's Altaro VM Backup experts can assist you to deploy immutable backup for cloud storage, allowing tamper-proof data for a set duration so that backup data cannot be erased or modified by anyone including administrators or root users. This adds another level of protection and restoration ability in the event of a successful ransomware attack.
- Setting up advanced antivirus/ransomware defense: Progent's ProSight Active Security Monitoring uses SentinelOne's behavioral analysis technology to give small and medium-sized companies the benefits of the same anti-virus technology deployed by some of the world's biggest enterprises including Walmart, Citi, and NASDAQ. By providing real-time malware filtering, identification, containment, recovery and analysis in a single integrated platform, Progent's ProSight ASM lowers total cost of ownership, simplifies management, and promotes rapid resumption of operations. SentinelOne's next-generation endpoint protection (NGEP) incorporated in Progent's ProSight Active Security Monitoring was listed by Gartner Group as the "most visionary Endpoint Protection Platform (EPP)." Progent is a SentinelOne Partner, reseller, and integrator. Read about Progent's ProSight Active Security Monitoring next-generation endpoint protection and ransomware defense with SentinelOne technology.
- Negotiation with the threat actor (TA): Progent is experienced in negotiating settlements with threat actors. This calls for working closely with the victim and the insurance provider, if any. Services include establishing the kind of ransomware involved in the assault; identifying and establishing communications the hacker; testing decryption capabilities; budgeting a settlement amount with the ransomware victim and the insurance carrier; establishing a settlement amount and timeline with the TA; checking adherence to anti-money laundering (AML) sanctions; overseeing the crypto-currency transfer to the TA; acquiring, reviewing, and using the decryptor tool; debugging failed files; creating a pristine environment; remapping and reconnecting drives to match exactly their pre-encryption state; and recovering physical and virtual devices and services.
- Forensic analysis: This activity involves uncovering the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault progressed through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and brings to light weaknesses in rules or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensics entails the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for changes. Forensics is commonly given a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is vital that other key recovery processes like operational continuity are executed concurrently. Progent has an extensive team of IT and security professionals with the skills needed to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Progent has provided remote and on-premises network services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This broad array of skills allows Progent to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your information system following a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent for Ransomware Recovery Expertise in Waltham
For ransomware system restoration consulting in the Waltham metro area, call Progent at 800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.